Best Time-Based and Performance work, an award to be selected by Cathy Edwards, director of Performance Programs at the International Festival of Arts & Ideas in New Haven, Conn.
She serves as guest artistic director of the Time-Based Art Festival in Portland, Ore., an annual program of the Portland Institute for Contemporary Art. Prior to that, Edwards was artistic director of Dance Theater Workshop.
Her five picks are:
- "Three Phases" by Complex Movements of Detroit, Site:Lab
- "Whole" by Hillerbrand and Magsamen of Houston, Tex., Grand Rapids Art Museum
- "Drawing Apparatus" by Robert Howsare of Athens, Ohio, Grand Rapids Art Museum
- "Public Museum" by Gary Schawrtz of Detroit, Mich., Site:Lab
- "Mr. Weekend" by Mike Simi of Seattle, Wash., Kendall College of Art & Design
Read the full article, here.
Watch local news in Grand Rapids discuss the entries, here. The third video at the bottom after the 13:00 minute mark focuses on Complex Movements.